Wednesday 28 June 2017

Greek Week Two

Week two is already over, which seems impossible because that means this is week three and that is halfway. Six weeks seemed like such an intimidating amount of time to spend somewhere when you know no one and have no sense of routine. Then just like that I’m already thinking about how I’ll feel when I leave and planning the next journey.

That I’ve settled so easily I hope is a sign of finally finding a way of life that suits me, and meets my need to have time away from a desk that I hope I can maintain for the rest of my career. Here we are, writing weekly for the first time in a long time, so something must be working. Something must be working because I am being more productive than ever before but also I feel calmer than ever before, even though really, the future has never been more uncertain.


I’ve also been very appreciative of everyone in my life who supported this move, and the next ones, because they know that none of this is exactly the path I had planned for myself. Even so they stick with me and seem to have complete faith in my success, which is something I cannot explain myself but I’ve long since stopped questioning why people think what they think of me. I will happily take it.

In more practical news I have found my own small supermarket in which prices seem to vary on the daily, and when I visit larger supermarkets some sort of argument about something always seems to be going on. I’ve spent as much time as possible on the waterfront and more time eating very good Greek food. I’ve had lots of good, meaningful conversations with the people I’m sharing this experience with - I’m blown away by how different and yet fundamentally similar we all are. I’m even more amazed that I get to spend so much time with people who are doing so much good, and I know will continue to do so whether it’s here or anywhere else. Lots more posts inspired by those conversations are on the way.

By the end of week two - I am covered in bruises and bites and I’ve never been happier.


Let’s end with a corrections corner - the heat, it’s not as wonderful as I implied. We sleep with our doors open so the air con from the kitchen can cool our seemingly perpetually hot apartment down. It’s also worth noting that, in light of comparisons about surviving 30 degree heat back in the UK vs. anywhere else, not everyone in places where it is hot can afford to have or switch on air con. Nor does the public transport here does not universally have air con. Everyone is hot and everyone is sweating the only difference is that it is mostly expected.

What is the point of this correction? Just to express that we should stop complaining about the heat when it lasts a pathetic two days, but also do something about global warming.

*****

I’m on Twitter - @clairegillesp - where I’m being regularly updated on Love Island despite never watching it or even really understanding who these people are.
I’m on Instagram - clairegillesp - which includes no Love Island related content but who knows what the future will hold.
I’m listening to the new Lorde album because it’s pop music excellence. I’m also listening to a podcast called My Favorite Murder, which I have to recommend because I stole the concept of ‘corrections corner’ from them, but also because it’s very, very funny and  good.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment