Wednesday 23 March 2016

True Girl Power

My next adventure and the women who made it possible.

After 20 years of structure by every type of academic institution possible, I'm out on my own. I lost my job just a bit after this happened, I went back to my old job (forever grateful), but now it’s time to start living my best life. So right now I'm coming to you from Amman, Jordan and the start of the next bit of that life.

I've heard the word ‘brave’ a lot in the time between deciding to take the job, and making the public announcement that is this post. It got me thinking about if I was being brave (yes – this is absolutely terrifying), and how I got to be so brave. How I got to be the woman that teenage Claire would be in awe of. I owe her a lot, she went through a lot and I try to live every day to prove wrong all the awful things she thought about herself. She’s the first woman I can thank for this, thank you to past Me, thank you for holding on and never ever letting anything stop you from moving forward.

Thank you to my internet girls, thank you for living your best lives and sharing that in a way which made me realise I was only a couple of decisions away from being able to live mine.  You share your worst bits as well as your best and watching you recover time and again reminds me that things don’t have to be perfect, or even good, to get you where you’re going. Katie and LJ – I barely know you (just fangirl tweets mostly) but if it wasn't for reading about you taking all those risks and going places you wanted to go and believing you could have the things you wanted, I would not be here getting the things I want right now.

Thank you to my best ladies, for meaning I don’t even have to ‘not care what anyone thinks’, because your support is so absolute and unrelenting it blows my mind. Thanks for bearing with me at my recent low moments when you knew I could do better. Thank you for being there when the very worst happened and I was worried that would be my undoing. It wasn't, and you knew that. You all keep calling me brave, and saying how proud you are of me, but I learnt that from you. Every woman in my life, from every stage of my life, is currently out there killing it and dominating every arena she turns her hand to. You are brave and I am proud of you.

Lots of love, as always, to my Mum, who didn't freak out when I told her I was coming and continues to be supportive of every decision I make. I am very lucky to have you.


These thanks can be extended to women everywhere, who go out and be successful and have adventures and share those adventures with us so we believe we can do it too. Women got me here, and made me believe I could get myself here, and the support I've found in women who champion each other’s successes, and push each other to be better, made me brave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment